At the East Side Recycling Center, 2401 Scott Blvd. SE, education is a priority. Residents come to enjoy unique programming and take advantage of special events, like mobile household hazardous material collections. They can also rent the Environmental Eduction Center for their own use.
There is always something to discover at Iowa City's East Side Recycling Center, whether it be waste reduction, stormwater management, energy efficiency, or green building.
Interested in learning more about waste reduction? Resource Management staff provide group tours of East Side (minimum of 10 people), and host a variety of events throughout the year. For more information on events, contact Recycling Coordinator Jane Wilch at firstname.lastname@example.org or 319-887-6110.
The Environmental Education Center is an all-season event venue. The center is the perfect size for a meeting, company gathering, family reunion, or other function. For more information about the Environmental Education Center and rental details, check out the Environmental Education Center Information Guide.
Information on recyclables that are accepted at the East Side Recycling Center is available at www.icgov.org/recycling.
Automotive and vegetable oils can be recycled at the East Side Recycling Center.
- Oil filters
- Motor oil
- Vegetable cooking oil
Bring oils in sealed plastic bottles and leave in the Oil Recycling Shed. Please label containers as "motor oil" or "vegetable oil."
When available, the compost costs $0.50 per five gallons (bring your own container) and large quantities can be purchased at the Iowa City Landfill and Recycling Center for $20 per ton with a $2 minimum. Wood chips are no cost.
1. Iowa Valley Habitat for Humanity’s ReStore sells used building materials and furniture. Visit ReStore's website for more information or call 319-338-5687.
2. Salvage Barn, a program of the Iowa City Friends of Historic Preservation, sells used, historically-significant building materials.Visit the Salvage Barn's website for more information.
Mobile collection events are held approximately quarterly at the East Side Recycling Center. The next mobile collection event will be held Friday, September 6, from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. at the East Side Recycling Center, 2401 Scott Blvd. SE in Iowa City. There is no cost to participate. This event is for residents only (no businesses or non-profits).
Residents of Iowa City and other communities in rural areas of Johnson County, as well as residents of Kalona and Riverside, can dispose of one box of household hazardous materials per household. Residents with more than one box of household hazardous materials, those with materials that will not be accepted at this event and all businesses, should call 319-356-5185 to make an appointment for disposal at the Iowa City Landfill’s collection facility.
- Kitchen: floor care products, furniture and metal polish, oven cleaner, stain remover, drain cleaner
- Bathroom: toilet bowl cleaner, mildew remover, abrasive cleaner, disinfectant, hair remover
- Garage: antifreeze, brake and transmission fluid, engine degreaser, battery acid, lighter fluid, kerosene, gasoline, oil, auto batteries
- Workshop: oil-based paint, adhesives, glue, resin, solvents, strippers, varnishes, stains, paint thinner, rechargeable batteries. No latex paint is accepted at mobile events.
- Lawn/garden: weed killer, pesticides, bug spray, fertilizer
- Light Bulbs: fluorescent light tubes, compact fluorescent bulbs (CFLs), LEDs
- Batteries: sealed lead, auto, Ni-Cd, lithium, rechargeable, watch batteries, hearing aid batteries, cellular phone batteries. Alkaline batteries are not accepted for recycling at this time. Please dispose of these in your regular trash, as they do not contain hazardous material.
- Other: photo developers, pool chemicals, shoe polish, art supply chemicals, moth balls, nail polish and remover, syringes (in rigid plastic or metal containers)
For more information, call the Iowa City Landfill and Recycling Center at 319-356-5185.
Questions? Call Resource Management at 319-356-5151, or the Recycling Coordinator at 319-887-6110 or email@example.com.