Electronics and small appliances recycling, and the Environmental Education Center are currently unavailable.
East Side Recycling Center, 2401 Scott Blvd. SE, is a place where the community can learn about the environment, recycle, collect compost, and also reuse, with the help of our partner organizations located on site. Residents can also rent the Environmental Education Center for their own use.
- Compost and Wood Chips
- Environmental Education Center
- Household Hazardous Material Events
- Site Partners
- Contact Us
Compost pickup is in high use at East Side, but staff are checking containers regularly to refill, as needed. Please note that containers are not able to replenished over the weekend. Please bring your own containers and shovels to load materials.
When available, the compost costs $0.50 per five gallons (bring your own container) and large quantities can be purchased at the Iowa City Landfill and Recycling Center for $20 per ton with a $2 minimum.
The East Side Recycling Center has wood chips available. Staff is checking containers regularly to refill, as needed. Please note that containers are not able to replenished over the weekend. Please bring your own containers and shovels to load materials.
Interested in learning more about waste reduction? Resource Management staff provide group tours (minimum of 10 people), and host a variety of events throughout the year.
For more information, contact the Recycling Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 319-887-6110.
Due to public health recommendations, the education center is closed until further notice due to COVID-19:
- Events scheduled through August 31 are canceled. If you have an event scheduled, staff will be reaching out to offer a refund or the option to reschedule at a later date (dates are not being set at this time).
- No events are being scheduled at this time. Please check back here for updates.
The Environmental Education Center is an all-season event venue. The center is the perfect size for a meeting, company gathering, family reunion, or other function. For more information about the Environmental Education Center and rental details, check out the Environmental Education Center Information Guide.
Mobile collection events are held approximately quarterly at the East Side Recycling Center. Residents of Johnson County, Kalona, and Riverside, can dispose of one box of household hazardous materials per household. No latex paint is accepted at mobile events.
For a full list of accepted items, visit Hazardous Material.
For more information, call the Iowa City Landfill and Recycling Center at 319-356-5185.
Electronics and small appliances recycling are currently unavailable.
Available 24/7, except electronics and small appliances, light bulbs, and holiday lights recycling.
- Cardboard: please flatten
- Paper: newspapers, magazines, shredded paper, office paper, junk mail, paperboard, telephone books, paperback books, waxy cartons and aseptic packaging
- Glass: clear, brown, green
- Plastics: #1 through #5, and #7
- Metal: metal cans, aluminum pie pans, aluminum foil (in 2-inch ball)
Holiday Lights: accepted at ReStore’s donation area during ReStore open hours (Tues to Sat, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.) Electronics and Small Appliances: recycle at ReStore's donation area during ReStore open hours (Tues to Sat, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.)
- Light Bulbs: recycle CFLs and LEDs at ReStore (Tues to Sat, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.)
- Wine Corks: place corks in cork recycling bin in Oil Recycling Shed
Automotive and vegetable oils can be recycled at the East Side Recycling Center.
- Oil filters
- Motor oil
- Vegetable cooking oil
Bring oils in sealed plastic bottles and leave in the Oil Recycling Shed. Please label containers as "motor oil" or "vegetable oil."
1. Iowa Valley Habitat for Humanity ReStore sells used building materials and furniture. Visit ReStore's website for more information or call 319-338-5687.
2. Salvage Barn, a program of the Iowa City Friends of Historic Preservation, sells used, historically-significant building materials.Visit the Salvage Barn's website or call 319-351-1875 for more information.