Please note the compost and wood chips bins have been removed for the season. Compost ($20/ton) and wood chips (no cost) are available at the Iowa City Landfill and Recycling Center year-round. Please stop at the scale in Lane #2.
Looking for educational materials, or a speaker to talk about waste reduction or recycling? Resource Management staff are available to offer educational materials or presentations.
For more information, contact the Recycling Coordinator at email@example.com or 319-887-6110.
The Environmental Education Center is an all-season event venue. The center is the perfect size for a meeting, company gathering, family reunion, or other function. The capacity is 50 people. Parking is limited, especially on Saturdays when our site partners see high customer traffic.
Please note that there may be a rental cost increase beginning July 1, 2023. As we work through the City's budget process in late 2022 and early 2023, we will update the rental agreement accordingly. Reservations will be taken for after July 1, 2023, but will not be finalized until rates are confirmed.
Available 24/7, except electronics and small appliances, light bulbs, and holiday lights recycling.
- Cardboard: please flatten
- Paper: newspapers, magazines, shredded paper, office paper, junk mail, paperboard, telephone books, paperback books, waxy cartons and aseptic packaging
- Glass: clear, brown, green
- Plastic bottles and jugs
- Metal: metal cans, aluminum pie pans, aluminum foil (in 2-inch ball)
- Holiday Lights: accepted at ReStore’s donation area during ReStore open hours
- Electronics and Small Appliances: recycle at ReStore's donation area during ReStore open hours
- Light Bulbs: recycle CFLs and LEDs at ReStore during ReStore open hours (note: tubes are not accepted at this location)
- Wine Corks: place corks in cork recycling bin in Oil Recycling Shed
Automotive and vegetable oils can be recycled at the East Side Recycling Center.
- Oil filters
- Motor oil
- Vegetable cooking oil
Bring oils in sealed plastic bottles (containers no larger than 5 gallons) and leave in the Oil Recycling Shed. Please label containers as "motor oil" or "vegetable oil."
1. Iowa Valley Habitat for Humanity ReStore sells used building materials and furniture. Visit ReStore's website for more information or call 319-338-5687.
2. Salvage Barn, a program of the Iowa City Friends of Historic Preservation, sells used, historically-significant building materials. Visit the Salvage Barn's website or call 319-351-1875 for more information.