There are approximately 2,000 ash trees on public property -- either in parks or in right-of-ways -- within the City of Iowa City. The City will not examine or determine a course of action for any trees on private property and will leave those decisions to property owners. For more information on the City's tree ordinance, view the City Code.
If a tree is exhibiting symptoms of EAB, contact the Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Sterwardship State Entomologist at 515-725-1470 or entomology@IowaAgriculture.gov.
If you have a tree that is not exhibiting symptoms of EAB, but would like your tree to be evaluated, we recommend that you contact a certified arborist.
Watch the Emerald Ash Borer Response Plan, recorded by City Channel 4. Local experts discuss the potential impact, spread and status of the emerald ash borer in Iowa City.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- EAB infestation map: State of Iowa
- International Society of Arboriculture
Emerald Ash Borer information sites
- Iowa Tree Pests
- Ash Borer Management Options
- EAB Response Plan
Tree identification sites
- Mike Kintner, IDALS, 515-725-1470, Mike.Kintner@IowaAgriculture.gov
- Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship (IDALS) State Entomologist, 515-725-1470, entomology@IowaAgriculture.gov
- Robin Pruisner, Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship (IDALS) State Entomologist, 515-725-1470, Robin.Pruisner@IowaAgriculture.gov
- Paul Tauke, Department of Natural Resources (DNR) State Forester, 515-242-6898, Paul.Tauke@dnr.iowa.gov
- Tivon Feeley, DNR Forest Health Coordinator, 515-281-4915, Tivon.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Emma Hanigan, DNR Urban Forest Coordinator, 515-281-5600, email@example.com
- Jesse Randall, Iowa State University (ISU) Extension Forester, 515-294-1168, Randallj@iastate.edu
- Mark Shour, ISU Extension Entomologist, 515-294-5963, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Laura Jesse, ISU Extension Entomologist, ISU Plant and Insect Diagnostic Clinic, 515-294-0581, email@example.com
- Donald Lewis, ISU Extension Entomologist, 515-294-1101, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jeff Iles, ISU Extension Horticulturist, 515-294-3718, email@example.com
- Zachary Hall, Iowa City Superintendent of Parks and Forestry, 319-356-5100, firstname.lastname@example.org