Changes go into effect on Tuesday, July 6, 2021, which will make bus fares and passes consistent between Iowa City Transit and Coralville Transit, and will better coordinate service between the area transit systems. Transfers will also be available at all Iowa City bus stops effective July 6th, 2021.
Bus fares (effective July 6, 2021)
Exact fare required. Help us provide you with faster service by having correct change ready when boarding. Drivers do not carry change.
- Adults (18 years and up) - $1
- Youth (K - 12th grade) – 50 cents
- Children under 5 years old - Free (Children must be accompanied by an adult)
- 4 - Downtown Shuttle route - Free (all passengers)
- Disabled pass cardholders – Free
- Special pass required. Must apply for and meet qualifications. Call Iowa City Transit at 319-356-5151 for details. Application form.
- Reduced-fare 31-day bus pass
- Seniors (65+ years) or Senior pass holders - Free.
- If you are interested in receiving a Senior pass, you will need to sign up for your initial pass at the Iowa City Transit Office, located at 335 Iowa Ave. If you need to renew your pass, you can do so at City Hall (410 E. Washington St.) or at the Iowa City Transit Office.
- Medicare card - Free
- SEATS card holder – Free
Call Iowa City Transit at 319-356-5151 for information. Application forms
24-hour pass, Cost: $2
A 24-hour pass is available to all passengers of Iowa City Transit (ICT). The 24-hour pass costs $2, is good for 24 hours upon purchase, can be used for an unlimited number of rides during the 24-hour period, and is sold on ICT buses.
You must first inform the bus driver in order to purchase a 24-hour pass.
- Tell the driver you wish to purchase the pass.
- The driver will adjust the farebox accordingly and, when ready, will
- tell you to put your $2 into the farebox, and then
- your pass will be issued.
Iowa City Transit drivers cannot make change so have the exact fee ready when you go to purchase the 24-hour pass. If you put your money for the pass into the farebox before the driver is ready, the pass will not be issued.
ICT disabled-persons bus pass
10-ride pass, Cost: $8.50
This pass is good for a total of 10 rides to be used anytime during regular service hours. Discounted fare with this pass is 85 cents. Purchase at: Iowa City City Hall Cashier; Iowa City Parking, 335 Iowa Avenue; 1st Avenue Hy-Vee; Waterfront Hy-Vee; Hy-Vee Drug Store (Rochester/First Avenue) and North Dodge Hy-Vee.
31-Day adult pass, Cost: $32
Valid for 31 days of unlimited rides from the first time it is used. Purchase a pass anytime during the month and use it for a full month. Purchase at: Iowa City City Hall; Iowa City Parking, 335 Iowa Avenue; First Avenue Hy-Vee; Waterfront Hy-Vee; Hy-Vee Drug Store (Rochester/First Avenue) and North Dodge Hy-Vee.
31-Day youth pass, Cost: $16
Valid for 31 days of unlimited rides from the first time it is used. Purchase a pass anytime during the month and use it for a full month. Purchase at: Iowa City City Hall; Iowa City Parking, 335 Iowa Avenue; 1st Avenue Hy-Vee.
University of Iowa student U-Pass (12 months), Cost: $240 (prorated) or $120 if you don't have a University parking permit
Unlimited rides. Sold throughout the year (June 1 to May 31). Purchase pass at any time at a prorated fee. Purchase at: UI Parking Office or at http://transportation.uiowa.edu.
Kirkwood semester pass, Cost: $100 (prorated)
Unlimited rides. Sold during Fall (Aug. 1 to Dec. 31) and Spring (Jan. 1 to May 31) terms. Purchase pass at any time at a prorated fee. Purchase at Kirkwood Community College Bookstore. (Must show class schedule or ID).
University of Iowa faculty/staff annual pass, Cost: $28 per month or $15 per month if you don't have a University parking permit
These passes are available to UI Faculty & Staff starting every Jan. 1, good for one year of unlimited rides. They are paid with a pre-tax payroll deduction at a rate of $28 per month. Purchase at UI Parking Office. If you do not have a University parking permit, the University subsidizes the pass to $15 per month, pre-tax.
Field trip pass
Can be used by Iowa City Community Schools and also by area daycare providers. This pass allows for a large group to ride the bus and be billed at a later date. Call 319-356-5151 for details.