Stay active, curious, and connected with The Center!
We'll be sharing lots of ideas for remote engagement and lifelong learning opportunities while The Center is closed in the coming weeks. Here are a few ways you can keep up:
- Call us at 319-356-5220 to subscribe to The Center's weekly emails
- Follow The Center on Facebook to see daily posts
- Explore The Center’s YouTube channel to get your fix of the people and programs you love
Remote Programming Archive: Links & Recommendations
The Center enhances quality of life by creating opportunities to support wellness, social connections, community engagement, and lifelong learning for a diverse and growing older adult population.
Browse our informal archive of links and recommendations for staying engaged from home:
- From the SCTV Archive: Strength Training with Jeanie (2006)
- Chair yoga video with Adrienne
- Free online brain games
- 5-minute guided meditation
- Yoga for Seniors: Slow and Gentle Yoga
- 7-Minute Yoga Workout for Older Adults
- Coloring pages for adults
- "The World Needs What You Got" Art Journaling Tutorial
- 10-Minute Total-Body Cardio with Silver Sneakers
- Complete The Center's short online survey to let us know how you'd like to stay connected
- Tips to help keep your dog active indoors
- Sports Forum from afar: Peace, War, and Basketball: The Story of the 1969-70 Hawkeyes, Iowa Magazine
- Volunteer opportunities available through the United Way Emergency Volunteer Center
- Welcome to Medicare seminar presented online by Iowa SHIIP
- U.S. Department of the Treasury on April 1, 2020: "Social Security Recipients Will Automatically Receive Economic Impact Payments"
- UI TeleMobile Clinic: Call or text 319-535-2684 for a FREE medical appointment:
- No health insurance required; Available in English, Spanish, Arabic, and French; General health education; COVID concerns; Medication refills; Social work appointments; Connection with Mental Health Counselors; and more!
- Wonder Walls: Murals Transform Downtown Iowa City, Iowa Magazine
- CommUnity Crisis Services and Food Bank providing alternative service options:
- Food delivery is now available to anyone living in Johnson County who needs food but cannot access other resources due to COVID-19. People can call 319-519-6165 between 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday to request food delivery.
- CommUnity’s 24/7 call, chat, and text Crisis Services will also continue to operate. If you’re experiencing an emotional crisis please reach out. We’re here to help. Call or text 1-855-325-4296 or chat at IowaCrisisChat.org.
- Interested in volunteering? CommUnity offers opportunities to answer crisis chats and texts remotely. The training can also be completed remotely. To apply to volunteer, visit builtbycommunity.org/volunteer.
- Sewing for Seniors: Learn more about The Center's cloth mask-making project
- Kanopy: Enjoy critically-acclaimed movies, inspiring documentaries, award-winning foreign films and more all from your TV, device, or computer. Free access with your public library card.
- Libby: Our local libraries have thousands of ebooks and audiobooks available. You can borrow them, instantly, for free, with your library card using just the device in your hand.
- Online museum tours
- Take free Ivy League courses online
- 1,500 Free Online Courses from Top Universities
- Let's Paint Lemons: Watercolor Tutorial with Sarah Cray
- 6 Steps to Starting Seeds