Stay active, curious, and connected with The Center!
We'll be sharing lots of ideas for remote engagement and lifelong learning opportunities while The Center building is closed. Here are a few ways you can keep up:
- Check out our upcoming programming:
- Call us at 319-356-5220 to subscribe to The Center's weekly emails
- Follow The Center on Facebook to see daily posts
- Explore The Center’s YouTube channel to get your fix of the people and programs you love
Remote Programming Archive: Links & Recommendations
The Center enhances quality of life by creating opportunities to support wellness, social connections, community engagement, and lifelong learning for a diverse and growing older adult population.
Browse our informal archive of links and recommendations for staying engaged from home:
- From the SCTV Archive: Strength Training with Jeanie (2006)
- Chair yoga video with Adrienne
- Free online brain games
- 5-minute guided meditation
- Yoga for Seniors: Slow and Gentle Yoga
- 7-Minute Yoga Workout for Older Adults
- Coloring pages for adults
- "The World Needs What You Got" Art Journaling Tutorial
- 10-Minute Total-Body Cardio with Silver Sneakers
- 25-Minute Standing Workout*
- Coronavirus Connections: An Online Writing Project for Older Adults
- The Metropolitan Opera: Stream online Opera performances*
- Tips to help keep your dog active indoors
- Sports Forum from afar: Peace, War, and Basketball: The Story of the 1969-70 Hawkeyes, Iowa Magazine
- Volunteer opportunities available through the United Way Emergency Volunteer Center
- Welcome to Medicare seminar presented online by Iowa SHIIP
- UI TeleMobile Clinic: Call or text 319-535-2684 for a FREE medical appointment:
- No health insurance required; Available in English, Spanish, Arabic, and French; General health education; COVID concerns; Medication refills; Social work appointments; Connection with Mental Health Counselors; and more!
- Wonder Walls: Murals Transform Downtown Iowa City, Iowa Magazine
- CommUnity Crisis Services and Food Bank providing alternative service options:
- Food delivery is now available to anyone living in Johnson County who needs food but cannot access other resources due to COVID-19. People can call 319-519-6165 between 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday to request food delivery.
- CommUnity’s 24/7 call, chat, and text Crisis Services will also continue to operate. If you’re experiencing an emotional crisis please reach out. We’re here to help. Call or text 1-855-325-4296 or chat at IowaCrisisChat.org.
- Interested in volunteering? CommUnity offers opportunities to answer crisis chats and texts remotely. The training can also be completed remotely. To apply to volunteer, visit builtbycommunity.org/volunteer.
- Fighting Fraud: Online Scams, video presentation by Daisy Torres, Iowa City Police Department
- Fighting Fraud: Robocalls, video presentation by Daisy Torres, Iowa City Police Department
- Thank You Coloring Pages: Show your support to our frontline workers by coloring THANK YOU coloring pages and displaying in your windows and doors. Share your colored pages with #icareahealthcare #icareapublicsafety #icarearefuse #icareadelivery #icareafrontline #icareatogether
- Little Village Magazine Calendar: Offers a variety of daily virtual community programs; follow the link to browse the calendar and sign up for events!
- Kanopy: Enjoy critically-acclaimed movies, inspiring documentaries, award-winning foreign films and more all from your TV, device, or computer. Free access with your public library card.
- Libby: Our local libraries have thousands of ebooks and audiobooks available. You can borrow them, instantly, for free, with your library card using just the device in your hand.
- Online museum tours
- Take free Ivy League courses online
- 1,500 Free Online Courses from Top Universities
- Let's Paint Lemons: Watercolor Tutorial with Sarah Cray
- 6 Steps to Starting Seeds
- Online Academy of Irish Music: Learn traditional Irish music online with a 14-day free trial*
- Learn about your family's ancestry for free with FamilySearch*
- LGBTQ Life in Iowa City: Explore this online exhibit on Iowa City's LGBTQ+ history by University of Iowa archivist David McCartney
- Watercolor Doodle Group
*Senior Center member recommendations