- For information on how to handle waste materials during the pandemic, view Waste and Recycling COVID-19 Recommendations.
- Rate and fee changes will take effect on July 1, 2020.
In an effort to meet the State of Iowa's waste reduction goals, The City of Iowa City has implemented garbage and recycling programs to encourage waste reduction.
The recycling programs are designed to promote recycling and reuse of materials rather than disposing into the landfill. The City of Iowa City emphasizes reduction and reuse as first priorities. The best option is not to produce waste in the first place, and is promoted through program opportunities and events.
Monthly fees per curbside service:
- Garbage: $12
- Recycling: $6
- Organics (Yard and Food Waste): $2
To learn more about these services, watch the Curbside 101 video below.
Curbside Customer Best Practices
- Do not overfill carts. City ordinance states the lids must be closed.
- Bag all trash. Keep all recycling materials loose.
- Place carts at curb by 7 AM on your curbside day
- Keep at least 3-feet clear zone around each cart
- Face arrows on cart lids to street
- Return carts to your storage area at end of curbside day
- Do not paint/write on carts
- Do not remove carts from home
- Put carts at curb only when full
Holiday Curbside Collection Schedule
- Labor Day (Monday, September 7, 2020): curbside collections of trash, recycling, and organics will operate normally
Residents new to Iowa City, must sign up for utilities, which include water and curbside collection for garbage, recycling and organics, and are billed monthly.
The City's Resource Management Division serves the residents of Iowa City by providing a high level of service, while emphasizing the safety of its workers.
Browse the links below to learn more about the City of Iowa City Resource Management Division.
- Recycling (Curbside Collection and Drop-off Locations): www.icgov.org/recycle
- Organics (Curbside Collection, Composting, and Food Waste Reduction): www.icgov.org/organics
- Garbage (Curbside Collection and Bulky Item Pickup): www.icgov.org/garbage
- Landfill (Fees, Operations, and Services): www.icgov.org/landfill
- East Side Recycling Center (Fees, Operations, and Services): www.icgov.org/esrc
- Hazardous Material (Facility Information and Services): www.icgov.org/hhm
- Reduce, Reuse, Repair, Upcycle (Waste Reduction Education and Resources): www.icgov.org/reduce
- Rummage in the Ramp (Annual Resale Event): www.icgov.org/rummageintheramp
- Resource Management Customer Service: 319-356-5151
- Recycling Coordinator: 319-887-6110, email@example.com
- Curbside Collections: 319-356-5466, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Landfill: 319-356-5185
- Email Service Notices: Sign up at www.icgov.org/subscribe
- Facebook: Iowa City Landfill and Recycling
7 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Saturday