2019 Holiday curbside collection schedule
- Thursday, Nov. 28. Thanksgiving Day: Thursday’s routes will be collected on Friday, in addition to regular Friday routes.
- Wednesday, Dec. 25. Christmas Day: Wednesday’s routes will be collected on Thursday, in addition to regular Thursday routes.
In an effort to meet the State of Iowa's waste reduction goals, The City of Iowa City has implemented garbage and recycling programs to encourage waste reduction.
The recycling programs are designed to promote recycling and reuse of materials rather than disposing into the landfill. The City of Iowa City emphasizes reduction and reuse as first priorities. The best option is not to produce waste in the first place, and is promoted through program opportunities and events.
Curbside garbage, organics (food waste and yard waste), and recycling services are available to single family residences and multiplexes of four units or fewer. To learn more about these services, view the Garbage, Organics, and Recycling Curbside Guide or watch the Curbside 101 video below.
Curbside Customer Best Practices:
- Do not overfill carts. City ordinance states the lids must be closed.
- Place carts at curb by 7 AM on your curbside day
- Keep at least 3-feet clear zone around each cart
- Face arrows on cart lids to street
- Return carts to your storage area at end of curbside day
- Do not paint/write on carts
- Do not remove carts from home
- Put carts at curb only when full
Residents new to Iowa City, must sign up for utilities, which include water and curbside collection for garbage, recycling and organics, and are billed monthly.
The City's Resource Management Division serves the residents of Iowa City by providing a high level of service, while emphasizing the safety of its workers.
Browse the links below to learn more about the City of Iowa City Resource Management Division.
Visit our Recycling page to learn more about opportunities to recycle in Iowa City.
Visit the Organics page for more information on Iowa City's yard waste and food waste programs. Learn ways to reduce food waste at home, and what materials can be composted.
View our Garbage page to learn about curbside garbage service and special item collection, such as electronics or tires.
Questions? Sign up for curbside service notices at icgov.org/subscribe or call Resource Management at 319-356-5151.
7 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Saturday