The Purchasing division provides quality service to City departments, protects the City’s legal interests, and acts responsibly on behalf of the public by maintaining the integrity of the City’s procurement system through the encouragement of open competition and the impartial and fair treatment of vendors.
The Purchasing division provides services to internal clients/staff and the general public in the following areas:
- Develops and issues solicitations for the City’s procurement requirements for commodities and services – including Request for Bids, Request for Proposals, and Request for Quotes. View current bids & RFPs.
- Administers contracts for commodities and services.
- Assists with the procurement of office furniture, equipment, and supplies.
- Assists with the transfer and sale of City’s Surplus Equipment, Vehicles, etc. - Participation in the State of Iowa Surplus Agreement for the sale of surplus equipment.
- Administers City Procurement Card Program – Includes issuing cards, training internal clients, answering procurement card questions, and assisting with problem resolution.
- Sorts and distributes incoming mail for the City’s departments and divisions.
- Maintains, updates, and implements the City’s Purchasing Manual.
- See the Purchasing Division's General Terms and Conditions.
The Purchasing division also operates the Central Services activities of the City. The Central Services activity primarily involves the management and replacement of copy machines and the processing of incoming and outgoing mail. Departments are charged for the use of these services, and those funds are accounted for separately for the replacement of copier and mail room equipment.