The Purchasing division provides services to internal clients/staff and the general public in the following areas::
- Develops and issues solicitations for the City’s procurement requirements for commodities and services – including Request for Bids, Request for Proposals, and Request for Quotes. View current bids & RFPs on this website. View current bids & RFPs on Ion Wave.
- Administers contracts for commodities and services.
- Assists with the procurement of office furniture, equipment, and supplies.
- Assists with the transfer and sale of City’s Surplus Equipment, Vehicles, etc. - Participation in the State of Iowa Surplus Agreement for the sale of surplus equipment. See GovDeals below.
- Administers City Procurement Card Program – Includes issuing cards, training internal clients, answering procurement card questions, and assisting with problem resolution.
- Sorts and distributes incoming mail for the City’s departments and divisions.
- Maintains, updates, and implements the City’s Purchasing Manual..
- See the Purchasing Division's General Terms and Conditions.
GovDeals is an online marketplace which allows government agencies to sell surplus items via the internet. Many items that may have otherwise been discarded in the landfill have been successfully repurposed utilizing this service. GovDeals allows the City a way to dispose of items, while offering buyers an affordable and fair way to purchase government surplus.
The most commonly sold items include office furniture, automobiles, bulk items, and computer equipment. A few examples sold from around the City include painted benches, City Park rides, a popcorn wagon, a manufactured home, and bouncy houses.