The City of Iowa City's website, icgov.org, is scheduled for maintenance from 10 p.m., Tuesday, Dec. 18 to early morning on Wednesday, Dec. 19, 2018. The site will be unavailable during that timeframe. We apologize for any inconvenience.
The Streets Division owns two street sweepers. Sweeping begins in the spring after danger of freezing conditions have passed. The sweeper starts on one side of the city and randomly sweeps across town. It takes a period of approximately 4-5 weeks to make a complete pass of the city which now has 300 miles of streets, especially in the spring when lots of sand is on the streets from winter operations. After the initial pass the sweeping crew continues to work from one side of town to the other. There is not a set schedule for frequency of sweeping, except for the downtown area which is swept during University spring break. Residents are welcome to report unusual problem locations which may present a hazard to public safety and these areas will be checked out.
The downtown area is swept every Thursday evening into Friday morning during spring, summer, and fall seasons.
Spring 2017 street sweeping begins in March; check the schedule to avoid being towed
The Iowa City Streets Division will begin street sweeping in two weeks to remove sand and debris to enhance public safety. During this time, on-street parking will be prohibited in certain areas so that sweepers can access the full width of the street. Vehicles not moved will be towed. “No parking due to maintenance” signs will be posted at least 48 hours in advance of any work to alert vehicle owners to move their cars. Work is scheduled to coincide with the University’s Spring Break schedule. If you are a University student who normally parks in one of these areas, plan accordingly so that your vehicle is not towed.
On Monday, March 13, 2017, crews will begin sweeping the Downtown area and will then focus on main arterial streets and bike lanes. Crews will then move into residential areas. Drivers are asked to be patient, as the sweepers are slow-moving and stop periodically to empty debris. Street sweeping in the Downtown area is expected to be completed by Thursday, March 16. It takes crews about seven weeks to complete a full pass through the City.
Below is a list of locations that have been scheduled for sweeping on Tuesday, March 14 and Wednesday, March 15. Cars parked along these routes should be moved prior to the start of clean-up.
On Wednesday, March 8, the following streets will be posted for street sweeping that will begin at 7a.m. on Tuesday, March 14:
- Bloomington Street, from Linn Street to Clinton Street (north side only)
- Iowa Avenue, from Muscatine Avenue to Van Buren Street (north side only)
- Washington Street, from Muscatine Avenue to Johnson Street (north side only)
- College Street, from Van Buren Street to Summit Street (south side only)
- Dodge Street, from Burlington Street to Bowery Street (west side only)
- Van Buren Street, from Burlington Street to Bowery Street (west side only)
- Dubuque Street, from Prentiss Street to Court Street (east side only)
- Clinton Street, from Wright Street to Prentiss Street (east side only)
- Capitol Street, from Lafayette Street to Harrison Street (east side only)
On Wednesday, March 8, the following streets will be posted for street-sweeping that will begin at 7a.m. on Wednesday, March 15:
- Jefferson Street, from Gilbert Street to Evans Street (south side only)
- Iowa Avenue, from Van Buren Street to Muscatine Avenue (south side only)
- Washington Street, from Johnson Street to Muscatine Avenue (south side only)
- College Street, from Summit Street to Van Buren Street (north side only)
- Summit Street, from College Street to Burlington Street (west side only)
- Governor Street, from Bowery Street to Burlington Street (east side only)
- Lucas Street, from Burlington Street south to the dead-end (west side only)
- Clinton Street, from Harrison Street to Wright Street North of the RR Tracks (west side only)
- Prentiss Street, from Capitol Street to Dubuque Street (south side only)
City ordinance requires vehicles that are parked on the street to be moved every 48 hours, regardless of street-sweeping or other work. Cars that are not moved are considered “street storage” and may be ticketed and towed.
For more information on the street sweeping schedule, call 319-356-5181.