These facilities have closed: City Hall, the Iowa City Public Library, City Park Pool, the Iowa City/Johnson County Senior Center, the Animal Care and Adoption Center, as well as Parks and Recreation's Robert A. Lee Recreation Center, Mercer Park Aquatic Center/Scanlon Gym, Terry Trueblood Lodge, and Ned Ashton House. They will be closed from Sunday, March 15, 2020, until further notice. The City continues to monitor COVID-19's impact, and will review opening facilities as this develops.
Iowa City Parks and Recreation Department
As you are aware, the impacts of COVID-19 are rapidly changing. Over the last several weeks, Iowa City Parks and Recreation Department has been communicating regularly with state and local health officials in order to track the situation and develop response plans. Many updates have occurred since we made our first announcement. There are still a lot of things we're unsure of but, know we are making progress. All measures made by the Parks and Recreation Department are made to keep the users of the City's parks as safe as possible during this pandemic. For all Iowa City COVID-19 news, updates and resources, visit our web page at icgov.org/Coronavirus.
Community Connection (video series): Parks and Recreation Department offers alternative programming during the pandemic.
Closed Facilities & Programs
- Activity Guide - No Summer Guide, please follow social for program updates.
- City Park Pool - Closed for the 2020 Season
- Group Fitness & Sports
- Mercer Park Aquatic Center/Scanlon Gym is closed to the general public. In mid-July, Mercer pool plans to open for limited lap swimming with pre-registered hour time blocks.
- Ned Ashton House
- Robert A. Lee Recreation Center
- Soccer Field Rentals
- Summer Playground Program
- Terry Trueblood Lodge
Open Facilities & Programs
- Baseball and Softball Field Rentals
- Dog Parks*
- Iowa City Farmers Market 2020 Season Online Only
- Iowa City School District Sports
- Outdoor Basketball Courts*
- Shelters, are currently first come first served. No new reservations are being taken. Previously reserved rentals will be honored.*
- Splash Pads*
- Tennis and Pickleball Courts*
- Terrell Mill Skate Park*
*Open, but not sanitized. Please use cautiously at your own risk.
Happy at Home Video Series
- Happy at Home is a video series of virtual programming and activities to help people keep active and engaged during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- This series is produced by the Iowa City Parks and Recreation Department and City Channel 4.
- The videos are released weekly on the Iowa City Parks and Recreation Department Facebook page and Instagram IGTV channel (@icparksandrec), and on City Channel 4's YouTube Channel in the Happy at Home playlist. Visit the playlist at: https://bit.ly/3aRgWRI
Follow Us on Social
Stay up to date on by following us on our social media platforms. We will be communicating changes, updates, and providing activities you can do from home.
- Parks and Recreation Facebook - @icparksandrec
- Farmers Market Facebook - @iowacityfarmersmarket
- Parks and Recreation Instagram - @icparksandrec
- Farmers Market Instagram - @icfarmersmarket
Quick Page Navigation
- Activity Registration
- Event Cancellations/Rainout Line
- Event Facilities
- Parks and Recreation Foundation
- Iowa City Farmers Market
- Master Plan
- Oakland Cemetery
- Parks & Forestry
- Recreation Centers and Fitness Room
Party in the Park
It's Back! Party in the Park returned Thursday, June 18. This year, we have one of our best lineups yet and we can't wait to sing and dance along with you on Thursdays from 6:30 to 8 PM.
Everyone is welcome! Bring your lawn chairs, blankets, yoga mats, and masks or face shields. Social distancing guidelines will be encouraged, and hand sanitizer will be available at the craft tables.
Activities vary each week and may include skateboards, scooters, Strider bikes, pedal cars, Discovery Walks, and Art Inspired by Nature with Green Iowa AmeriCorps, water play, and more. Stay tuned on social media for more details.
The programs listed below have been canceled. Whether or not future Party in the Park events will take place will be decided at a later date. View the full press release here.
- June 25, 2020 - Mercer Park
- July 2, 2020 - Terry Trueblood Recreation Area
- July 9, 2020 - City Park
- July 16, 2020 - Riverfront Crossings
For all ages, children must be accompanied by an adult.
Questions? Please contact us at email@example.com or 319-356-5100
Mercer Park Aquatic Center: 81°
Robert A. Lee Rec Center: 85°
City Park Pool: Closed for season
For pool hours, see www.icgov.org/pools.
Robert A. Lee Community Recreation Center &
Mercer Park Recreation Center/ Scanlon Gym
Monday- Friday, 6:15 a.m.- 9 p.m.
Saturday, 6:15 a.m.- 8 p.m.
Sunday, 11 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Special hours/closures notifications listed at top of P&R page.