Activity RegistrationTake a look at all the Iowa City Recreation Division can offer you and your family this season.
The Recreation Activity Guide is available online. Hard copies are available at the following locations
- Robert A. Lee Community Recreation Center, 220 South Gilbert Street
- Mercer Park Aquatic Center, 2701 Bradford Drive
- Iowa City Public Library, 123 South Linn Street
- Iowa City City Hall, 410 E. Washington Street
Ready to register?
Registration for winter/spring activities will open Wednesday, Dec. 12.
Special Populations Involvement Registration
ICPR is committed to providing high quality recreation programs for all. The Special Populations Involvement (SPI) program provides leisure opportunities for persons with special needs, including those with physical, mental, or emotional disabilities.
SPI program registration is available online through Activenet, or download a SPI program brochure and downloadable registration form at www.icgov.org/specialpopulations.
Helpful information regarding ICPR programs:
- Class size: Limits have been placed on the size of some classes to assure quality instruction. Registration is first come, first served. Classes are reviewed at least 3 working days prior to start and those with insufficient enrollment are subject to cancelation. Registration must be made prior to participation in any Recreation Division activity.
Non-resident fees: City of Iowa City residents (persons living inside the Iowa City city limits), through their property taxes, contribute to the operation of the Parks and Recreation Department. Non-resident fees are assessed so that non-residents contribute to the overall financing of the Department on an equitable basis with Iowa City residents. Non-resident fees are figured at double the fee not to exceed $5 (exceptions where noted in the activity guide). Thank you for your cooperation.
NOTE: Non-residents on sports league rosters pay a flat $5 for each roster they are signed on.
- Low income discounts (Iowa City residents only): The Parks and Recreation Department will accept applications for fee discounts on certain programs based on income. Applications are available at the Recreation Division office. Eligibility applies only to residents of Iowa City. Forms are available at the recreation centers at the time of registration. One form must be filled out for each registration. For further information, contact the Superintendent of Recreation, (319) 356-5100.
- Americans with Disabilities Act/Inclusive Recreation Services: The Iowa City Parks and Recreation Department is pleased to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) which prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability. In addition, the ADA requires that all citizens be given the opportunity to recreate in the “most integrated setting,” which is the basis for inclusive recreation services. Inclusion within Iowa City Parks and Recreation means that individuals with disabilities are welcome to participate in the same recreation programs and activities as their non-disabled peers. Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to recreate with their peers by registering for any activity offered by the Recreation Division. Reasonable accommodations are provided to enable an individual’s successful participation in a program. Some minimum eligibility requirements (age, level of participation) must be met in order to participate. Examples of accommodations include, but are not limited to, activity modification, adaptive equipment, changing staff-to-participant ratios, additional staff training, effective communications for persons with hearing impairments, financial assistance, and/or monitoring accommodations for effectiveness. Please contact RaQuishia Harrington at (319) 356-5100 or RaQuishia-Harrington@iowa-city.org at least two weeks prior to the activity start date to ensure your individual needs are met. Specialize programs geared toward individuals with disabilities are also available if a participant so desires. See the "Special Populations" section of the activity guide for more information.
- Photos: Please note that activities sponsored by the Iowa City Recreation Division may, from time to time, be photographed for activity guides, websites, other promotional materials, group pictures or by the media. Due to the public nature of our programs and facilities we cannot be responsible for photographs made by the media or others. We will, however, do our best to make special arrangements in response to your needs. Should you have any such concerns, please contact the Iowa City Recreation Division in writing.
- Activity Transfers: Transfers within the current activity guides season will be allowed if a request is made at least 3 working days prior to the activity starting date, and if an opening still exists in the program you wish to transfer.
- Refunds: Request for refunds must be made at least 3 business days prior to the first class meeting. Pro-rated refunds for health reasons may be considered after the program begins and requests must be made in writing to the appropriate program supervisor. Doctor’s certificate may be required. No refunds will be given for programs which have been completed.
- Park shelter/ball field reservations & refunds: Reservations for park shelters may be made as early as one year in advance, but no later than 5 days in advance of intended use. This timeline ensures proper staff scheduling and maintenance in advance of your reservation. Requests for refunds and changes to existing reservations must be made 3 business days prior to the scheduled event. No refunds will be issued for inclement weather. If you desire to use a shelter but missed the 5-day window cut-off, open air shelters are available on a first come, first served basis. Enclosed shelters are only available May-October. Open air shelters are available to reserve year-round, however bathroom and water facilities are only available May to October, barring weather-related setbacks to that timeline. Payment is required at the time of reservation. Fees vary according to the size of the shelter.
For more information or assistance with your registration, please contact the Recreation Division office at 319-356-5100.