The City's housing rehabilitation programs provide zero-interest loans and/or grants to homeowners to aid in making repairs to their homes. Neighborhood Services staff assists homeowners with home inspections, specifying work plans and repairs and obtaining bids from contractors.
Types of Rehabilitation eligible for assistance:
The types of rehabilitation eligible are below. For all the information about types of rehabilitation eligible, visit our page icgov.org/HouseRehabInfo.
Emergency repair assistance
Manufactured home repair
How to apply
If you feel you qualify for assistance with your home rehabilitation project, submit the following application form to Liz Osborne, Housing Rehab, City of Iowa City, 410 E. Washington St., Iowa City 52240. If you have questions, contact Liz Osborne at 319-356-5246 or Liz-Osborne@Iowa-City.org.
Housing rehabilitation: Do you qualify?
For all of the qualifications to receive housing rehabilitation assistance through the City, visit our page icgov.org/HouseRehabInfo.
A lien or a mortgage will be placed on your property to secure the loan. Depending on the type of project and eligibility criteria, your project may include one or more of the following:
- Zero interest loans - your monthly loan payment will not exceed 30% of your gross income.
- Conditional occupancy (aka deferred payment) loans are not repaid until the property is sold or rented.
- Low-interest loans repaid over a twenty year period.
If your home is located in one of the targeted areas, half of your project cost will be forgiven in five years. A map of target areas can be found here.
- GRIP informational brochure
- Construction and rehabilitation specifications
- Table of contents
- General conditions
- Site work
- Carpentry and millwork
- Moisture protection and roofing
- Doors, windows, glass
- Heating and air conditioning
- Exhibit 1 - Handicapped rules and regulations
- Exhibit 2 - Secretary of the Interior's standards
- Exhibit 3 - Handrail, guardrail and stairway requirements
- Exhibit 4 - Guidelines for the removal of lead-based paint
- Rehab Program Manual