From September 1 to March 1 each year, Iowa City homeowners can apply for an Energy Efficiency Program loan. These City-supplied loans range from $300 to $6,000 and go towards the replacement or upgrade of heating and furnace systems, window replacement, insulating and weatherproofing projects, which all can lead to a more energy efficient home. Window replacement must be energy star compliant.
Who is eligible for the program?
- Homeowners with homes in Iowa City.
- Homes must be single-family, owner-occupied.
- Owner must have adequate equity in the home for the loan to be secure.
- Gross household income must fall below 80% of the median income level for Iowa City.
Income limits to qualify
- One-person household: $52,850.
- Two-person household: $60,400.
- Three-person household: $67,950.
- Four-person household: $75,500.
- Five-person household: $81,550.
To apply for the program
- Complete the form online at https://www8.iowa-city.org/Forms/housingrehab or fill out a form available at City Hall.
- Provide a bid for furnace repair or replacement. If the bid is for furnace replacement, the new furnace must be at least a 92% efficient furnace.
What are the loan terms
- Zero Interest Loans or Conditional Occupancy Loans. A lien of mortgage will be placed on the property to secure the loan. Depending on the type of project and eligibility criteria, you can get one of the two loans. Zero Interest Loan: A monthly loan payment will not exceed 30% of gross income, with the loan term up in five years. Conditional Occupancy Loan: Also known as deferred payment, the loan is not repaid until the property is sold or rented.
- Forgivable Loans. If the home is located in one of the following areas, half of the project cost will be forgiven in five full years: College Green, Northside, Miller-Orchard, Towncrest, Twain, Wetherby and Grant Wood.
Who should I contact to apply
Housing Rehabilitation Office
410 E. Washington St.
Iowa City, Iowa 52240
Liz Osborne: email@example.com, 319-356-5246 (8 am-1 pm)