Iowa City’s Healthy Homes program is part of the City’s Invest Health Initiative, which aims to reduce health disparities in low-income neighborhoods. The goal of the program is to improve health outcomes of residents, and specifically to reduce the number of Emergency Room and clinic visits of residents diagnosed with a lung disorder such as asthma or COPD. This is achieved through mitigation of environmental triggers and in-home asthma counseling.
Up to $7,500 is available per household for repair/replacement of items that contribute to poor indoor air quality. Some common repairs include:
- Replacing carpeted areas with luxury vinyl plank flooring
- Repairing plumbing to stop moisture damage and mold
- Replacing bath fans
- Cleaning duct work
- Updating furnace filtration
- Adding/replacing air conditioners to control moisture and air quality
Households with a child with asthma will also receive an in-home visit from the UI College of Nursing, to provide health education to self-manage the condition and maintain a healthy home.
Iowa City households who have a member with a diagnosed lung disorder such as asthma or COPD are eligible for the program. Preference is given to households with children under the age of 18 with an asthma diagnosis. Renters and homeowners within Iowa City's corporate limits can apply. If you rent, your landlord must consent to the repairs.
Your gross household income must be less than 80 percent of the median income level for Iowa City, which depends on the number of people in your household.
- Household size: 1 person, Maximum household income: $61,050
- Household size: 2 persons, Maximum household income: $69,800
- Household size: 3 persons, Maximum household income: $78,500
- Household size: 4 persons, Maximum household income: $87,200
- Household size: 5 persons, Maximum household income: $94,200
- Household size: 6 persons, Maximum household income: $101,200
- Household size: 7 persons, Maximum household income: $108,150
- Household size: 8 persons, Maximum household income: $115,150
Effective June 15, 2022
How to apply
To apply for the Healthy Homes program, you must complete the application below and obtain documentation of the child’s asthma diagnosis from a medical professional.
Submit the completed application to Liz Osborne, Housing Rehab, City of Iowa City, 410 E. Washington St,. Iowa City, Iowa 52240. If you have questions, contact Liz Osborne at 319-356-5246 or Liz-Osborne@Iowa-City.org.