Administrative offices at City Hall and other facilities will be closed Thursday, Nov. 22 and Friday, Nov. 23, 2018, for the Thanksgiving holiday. Curbside garbage, recycling and organic waste will not be collected on Thanksgiving Day, but will be collected on Friday. Detailed schedule changes and other office closures: http://bit.ly/2OGZZyq
Denial/termination of assistance
Can the Housing Authority deny/terminate my Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) rental assistance?
Yes, the Housing Authority may deny/terminate your HCV rental assistance.
For what reasons may the Housing Authority deny/terminate my rental assistance?
The Housing Authority may deny/terminate rental assistance for the following reasons:
- Violation of any of the HCV Program Family obligations which include serious or repeated violations of your lease
- Previous eviction from public housing
- Drug-related or violent criminal activity
- Fraud, bribery, or criminal activity in connection with any federal housing assistance program
- Outstanding unpaid rent, vacancy loss, other debts or any other money due the Housing Authority or another Housing Authority
- Breach of an agreement by the family to repay the Housing Authority for any money due the Housing Authority
- Failure to sign and submit forms to document HCV Program eligibility
- Abusive, violent behavior or threats toward Housing Authority personnel
- Criminal Street Gang Activity as defined in Chapter 723A of the Iowa Code or a law of any city, county, or state that substantially corresponds to this section;
- Theft in the 3rd degree or higher or fraudulent practice in the 3rd degree or higher as defined in Chapter 714 of the Iowa Code or a law of any city, county, or state that substantially corresponds to this section;
- Forgery or fraudulent criminal acts as defined in Chapter 715A of the Iowa Code or a law of any city, county, or state that substantially corresponds to this section;
- Disorderly house as defined in Section 8-5-5 of the City Code or a law of any city, county, or state that substantially corresponds to this section;
- Disorderly conduct as defined in Section 8-5-1 of the City Code or section 723.4 of the Iowa Code or a law of any city, county, or state that substantially corresponds to this section
What are the HCV Program Family Obligations and where are they listed?
The HCV Family Obligations are Housing Authority and HUD rules for continuing participation in the HCV Voucher rental assistance program. The Family Obligations are listed in HUD's HCV Program regulations and in the Housing Choice Voucher. You are also required to read and sign an acknowledgement that you understand the Family Obligations when you begin participation in the program.
Is there any way that I can challenge the denial/termination process?
Yes, you have the right to a hearing to present facts to support why your Section 8 should not be denied/terminated.
If I am denied/terminated from the HCV Program, will I be allowed to re-apply?
Yes, depending upon the circumstances, you will be denied all forms of rental assistance and are ineligible for assistance for a minimum of 1 year and a maximum of 3 years pending the determination of the ICHA or the Hearing Officer. When your name comes up on the list, the Housing Authority will make a thorough review of your prior termination and determine whether you can be admitted to the HCV Program under the rules in effect at that time.