Who qualifies for the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program?
To be eligible for HCV or Public Housing, a household must meet family composition and income requirements. In addition, the Housing Authority will conduct a criminal background check. Family Composition: (must meet one of the following)
- A single person 62 years or older
- A disabled person 18 years or older who is not declared as a dependent by a parent or guardian or who is a dependent living in a group home or similar supervised residence (at the time applicant applies)
- A household with a child or children who resides in the unit 51% of the time. (A child who is temporarily away from the home because of placement in foster care is considered a member of the family)
- Two or more elderly persons or disabled persons living together, or one or more elderly or disabled persons living with one or more live-in aides
- Two or more persons related by blood, marriage, domestic partnership, adoption or placement by a governmental or social service agency, as defined by City of Iowa City code
- A single adult that is not part of another household
Are there any income limits?
To qualify for the Housing Choice Voucher Program, participants must earn no more than 50% of area median income.
Participant briefing video
To learn more about the benefits of a rental assistance voucher and participant responsibilities please view this briefing video.