The City of Iowa City's website, icgov.org, is scheduled for maintenance from 10 p.m., Tuesday, Dec. 18 to early morning on Wednesday, Dec. 19, 2018. The site will be unavailable during that timeframe. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Water users commonly use garden hoses for a variety of purposes, including:
- Watering lawns, flower beds and gardens
- Washing cars and other items
- Filling pools and hot tubs
- Washing workshops, garages, food prep areas, etc.
- Applying liquid fertilizers and pesticides
Any of these may involve attaching a chemical sprayer to the end of the hose. In each of these cases, there is the potential to contaminate the water supply. Hose Bib Vacuum Breakers are simple, low-cost devices that should be used to help prevent backflow of water when engaging in the use of water hoses. They are easy to install and available at many plumbing supply stores.