Root for Trees Discount Program
Trees are an intrinsic part of the quality of life in Iowa City. Trees can improve a neighborhood’s appearance and provide health benefits for residents. They can offer shade and provide a windbreak, which reduces energy bills. They also remove carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, decrease runoff, and provide habitat for birds and other urban wildlife. Because they have such a variety of benefits that improve our environment, they are an important part of the City’s Climate Action Plan.
The City is working to grow and expand our tree canopy coverage and tree diversity. You can help by participating in the Root for Trees program. Starting September 15, 2022, you can receive a tree voucher and save 50% OFF on the purchase of a tree at participating Iowa City locations. Trees obtained through the Root for Trees voucher program must be planted on the purchaser's private property. For residents wishing to plant their tree in the Right-of-Way, a no-fee permit will require City approval before purchasing the tree.
Please note, tree vouchers are not eligible for maple and pear trees.
Read the latest news release on Root for Trees in our news section.
Root for Trees Voucher Application
Complete the online application form. Vouchers will be valid from September 15, 2022, to May 15, 2023, while supplies last.
Right Tree, Right Location
Are you planting a new tree? Here's where to start: learn about tree types that work for you, choose the right location, and plant it safely in your yard.
Tree Voucher Details
- Tree vouchers are valid for 50% off the retail purchase price of one tree, up to a total cost savings of $125 (a $250 tree). The purchaser will be responsible for any cost that exceeds this amount. Vouchers for an additional discount are available to income-eligible households.
- Delivery and installation costs may not be included in the 50% calculation of the purchase price.
- Trees obtained through this voucher program must be planted on the purchaser's private property. For residents wishing to plant their tree in the Right-of-Way, a no-fee permit will require City approval before purchasing the tree.
- Maple and pear trees are not eligible for discounts.
- Vouchers are valid for Iowa City residents, only redeemable for one tree purchase, and limited to one tree per residential property.
- Vouchers are valid from September 15, 2022, to May 15, 2023, while supplies last..
- Contact Iowa One Call at 811 or iowaonecall.com at least 72 hours prior to digging so that any utilities can be properly located.
- Please wait up to seven business days for receipt of your voucher in the mail. You will be contacted by email if your application is not approved.
Vouchers may be redeemed at the following locations:
- Earl May Garden Center, 1901 Lower Muscatine Rd., Iowa City, IA 52240
- Iowa City Landscaping and Garden Center, 520 Highway 1 W, Iowa City, IA 52246