Community Climate Action Grants
The City offers Community Climate Action Grants in order to inspire and promote public involvement in the implementation of the Iowa City’s Climate Action and Adaptation Plan with projects that:
- Increase energy efficiency
- Encourage low and no-emissions transportation
- Minimize waste and consumption of valuable resources
- Protect and promote natural environments
- Support sustainable lifestyle choices
The 2021 grant application period for businesses and nonprofits is now closed. Grant recipients are typically announced in April and funds are made available beginning July 1. The next grant application period is anticipated to open in March 2022.
Student groups are invited to apply for $500 mini-grants for youth-led climate action projects using the online application form. Student applications will be accepted through May 7, 2021.
Who can apply?
Organizations or groups applying must be principally and physically located in Iowa City. Any applicant or partnering group located outside of Iowa City must demonstrate that the population or area served will primarily be people or places within Iowa City. Eligible applicants include:
- Non-Profit and Community Based Organizations (awards up to $10,000)
- For-Profit Businesses (awards up to ($10,000)
- Students in grades K-12 (awards up to $500)
The goal of the grant project must align with the goals listed in Iowa City’s Climate Action and Adaptation Plan. Funding will go to projects that are:
- Ready to be implemented and can be completed within 12 months or less
- Focused, planned, and reasonable in scope
- Directly related to the City’s Climate Action Plan objectives
- Sustainable past the project period and/or replicable in the future
- Impactful and measurable
- Locally focused and beneficial to a diversity of Iowa City residents
Additional information is available in Accelerating Iowa City’s Climate Actions, which outlines additional City Climate Action initiatives.
For projects involving energy efficiency in a specific building, preference will be given to applicants that can document consent from the property owner or are the property owner themselves.
Grant funds cannot be used for operational costs such as rent or salaries. A maximum of 20% of funds may go towards administrative costs.
For more information
Contact Ashley Monroe | Ashley-Monroe@Iowa-City.org | 319-356-5012