Community Climate Action Grants
The City offers Community Climate Action Grants in order to inspire and promote public involvement in the implementation of the Iowa City’s Climate Action and Adaptation Plan with projects that:
- Increase energy efficiency
- Encourage low or no-emissions transportation
- Minimize waste and/or consumption of valuable resources
- Support and promote sustainable lifestyle choices
- Promote climate preparedness and resilience
The grant application period runs from March 14, 2022 through April 11, 2022. Applications must be submitted no later than noon on April 11, 2022 to be considered.
Applicants will be notified by the end of April as to the status of their application.
Who can apply?
Organizations or groups applying must be principally and physically located in Iowa City. Any applicant or partnering group located outside of Iowa City must demonstrate that the population or area served will primarily be people or places within Iowa City. Eligible applicants include:
- Non-Profit and Community Based Organizations (awards up to $10,000)
- For-Profit Businesses (awards up to ($10,000)
The goal of the grant project must align with the goals listed in Iowa City’s Climate Action and Adaptation Plan. Funding will go to projects that are:
- Ready to be implemented and can be completed within 12 months or less
- Focused, planned, and reasonable in scope
- Directly related to the City’s Climate Action Plan objectives
- Sustainable past the project period and/or replicable in the future
- Impactful and measurable
- Locally focused and beneficial to a diversity of Iowa City residents
Additional information is available in Accelerating Iowa City’s Climate Actions, which outlines additional City Climate Action initiatives.
For projects involving energy efficiency in a specific building, preference will be given to applicants that can document consent from the property owner or are the property owner themselves.
Grant funds cannot be used for operational costs such as rent or salaries. A maximum of 20% of funds may go towards administrative costs.
- Climate Action Grant application form
- 2022 Scoring Criteria
- Grant and payment information
- Mid-year and final report template
As part of the Climate Action Grant program, mini-grants in the amount of $500 are available year round for youth led projects or initiatives related to the Climate Action Plan. Students in grades 5-12 are eligible to apply. Applications must be received prior to the start of the project and can be submitted any time during the 2022 calendar year.
To qualify for grant funding students must be residents of Iowa City. The project must take place principally within city limits and be of benefit to fellow Iowa City residents. Eligible projects could include, but are not limited to, projects to encourage fellow students to walk or bike to school, reduce food waste at home or at school, or encourage fellow students and neighbors to reduce energy usage by distributing devices such as smart power strips.
Students are encouraged to contact Climate Action and Outreach staff with any questions.
For more information
Contact Daniel Bissell | Daniel-Bissell@Iowa-City.org | 319-887-6161