The Iowa City Streets Division will again be offering leaf vacuum service in your neighborhood. Click a topic below to learn more about the Iowa City Leaf Vacuum Program.
Watch a brief video to learn how to prepare your leaves for the leaf vacuum.
- The Leaf Vacuum Program will begin Monday, Oct. 16, 2017, in Zone 5 & 6, and will proceed in numerical order moving to Zone 1 after Zone 7 is complete. The process will repeat until the program ends on Wednesday, Nov. 22.
- The City will post a schedule to this page on the City’s website and to the City of Iowa City Twitter and Nextdoor accounts, indicating where crews will be working over a five day period. Subscribe to receive e-mail alerts at icgov.org/e-subscriptions.
- This schedule will be updated and posted daily. If you do not have direct access to the internet, call 319-356-5181.
- Rake leaves in a pile on the City right-of-way area in front of your house, between the sidewalk and the street curbing. Your leaf pile should be no further than five ft. back from the curb, as the vacuum hose will not reach any farther.
- Only leaves should be in the piles. The vacuum cannot handle sticks, brush, garden refuse or other yard waste.
- Combine your leaves into sizeable piles. It slows the crews down to have to work with multiple, small leaf piles.
- The minimum size for one pile should be the equivalent of one yard waste bag.
- Do not rake leaves into the street, as they can go into the storm sewer and can cause neighborhood flooding.
- Do not pile leaves around mailboxes and signposts, instead place them in an open area.
- Parked cars slow down leaf pick-up. In some areas of the city where on-street parking is heavy “No Parking” signs will be posted while leaf crews are in the area.
- If you live on a street where there is heavy parking, and you wish to have “No Parking” signs placed, contact the Streets Division at 319-356-5181 for review and consideration.
- Where calendar parking is enforced, leaf pick-up will occur on the side of the street without parking.
- Be considerate when parking on the street and avoid parking near leaf piles on scheduled pick-up days.
- Despite all advanced preparation, equipment breakdowns, heavy rain and snow can slow or end the program early.
- Do not wait to rake. As an early winter requires equipment and crews be redirected to snow removal operations.
- City of Iowa City yard waste bags can always be used if more rapid pick-up is desired. Yard waste bags will be collected on your regular garbage day through January.
Iowa City residents may also take their leaves, free of charge, to the Iowa City Landfill, 3900 Hebl Avenue.