The City of Iowa City offers leaf vacuuming. Weekly schedules are posted under the news feed at the top of this page.
- Despite advanced preparation; equipment breakdowns and weather can slow or end the program early.
- Do not wait to rake. An early winter requires equipment and crews to be moved to snow removal.
- Paper yard waste bags or City issued organics (Yard waste & food waste) carts can be used in addition to the Leaf Vacuum Program and will be collected on your regular curbside service day through year-round.
- Residents can haul their leaves – for free – to the Landfill at 3900 Hebl Ave.
For efficient pick up, follow these tips:to learn how to prepare your leaves for the leaf vacuum.
- Leaf vacuuming begins Monday, Oct. 18, 2021, in zones 2 and 3, and will proceed in numerical order, moving to Zone 4 after 3 is complete.
- The process will repeat until the program ends Wednesday, Nov. 24.
- To see schedules indicating where crews will work over a five-day period, visit www.icgov.org/leafvacuum, follow the City of Iowa City on Facebook, Twitter and Nextdoor, or subscribe for e-mail updates at www.icgov.org/e-subscriptions. The schedule will be updated and posted daily on Nextdoor and icgov.org, and updated weekly on Facebook and Twitter.
- If you do not have direct access to the internet, call 319-356-5181.
Click on the below image for a high-resolution version of the map.
- Rake leaves into a pile on the City right-of-way in front of your house, between the sidewalk and curb.
- Piles should be no further than 5 ft. back from the curb, as the vacuum hose will not reach farther.
- Combine your leaves into sizeable piles. It slows crews to have to work with many small piles.
- The minimum size for one pile should be the equivalent of one paper yard waste bag.
- Do not rake leaves into the street, as they may be washed into the storm sewer and can cause flooding.
- Do not pile leaves around mailboxes and signposts, instead place the pile in an open area.
- Cars parked on the street slow down leaf pick up. In areas where on-street parking is heavy, ‘No Parking’ signs will be posted while leaf crews are in the area.
- If you live on a street with heavy parking and you wish to have signs placed, call the Streets Division at 319-356-5181 for review & consideration.
- On streets where calendar parking is enforced, leaf vacuuming will occur on the side without parking.
- Be considerate when parking on the street and avoid parking near leaf piles on pick up days.
The leaf vacuum is not the only leaf removal option in Iowa City. Residents can also:
- Residents may bag leaves in paper yard waste bags or place them in your organics (yard waste & food waste) cart.
- Bags will be collected on your regular curbside service day through January. Call for an appointment during annual service suspension. More at www.icgov.org/organics.
- Unlimited bags can be placed at the curb.
- Residents can haul their leaves – for free – to the Commercial Compost Facility at the Iowa City Landfill and Recycling Center, 3900 Hebl Ave. SW
- Note, this service is not free for commercial customers.