The terms and conditions of employment with the City of Iowa City are established by a combination of internal guiding policy and regulation documents, collective bargaining agreements, and applicable laws.
Select a topic below to be directed to the specific section on this page.
The following policies establish general employment rights and provisions which are applicable to all City employees.
- Employee Handbook
- Personnel Policies
- City of Iowa City Drug and Alcohol Policy (DOT)
- Administrative Regulations
- FMLA, or Family and Medical Leave Act
- Family and Parental Leave Policy
- Telecommuting/Work from Home Guidelines
- Privacy Practices Notice
- Additional general City Policies
Permanent City of Iowa City employees are covered by one of three collective bargaining agreements or the Administrative and Confidential employment manual for non-bargaining staff.
- AFSCME FY22-FY26
- Fire FY20-FY24
- Fire FY20-FY24 (FY23-FY24 re-opener settlement update)
- Police FY21-FY25
- Administrative and Confidential employment manual FY22-FY26
Fiscal Year 2022 pay plans that took effect June 27, 2021:
Fiscal Year 2022 pay plan that took effect December 26, 2021:
Fiscal Year 2023 pay plans that will take effect June 26, 2022: