Administrative offices at City Hall and other facilities will be closed Thursday, Nov. 22 and Friday, Nov. 23, 2018, for the Thanksgiving holiday. Curbside garbage, recycling and organic waste will not be collected on Thanksgiving Day, but will be collected on Friday. Detailed schedule changes and other office closures: http://bit.ly/2OGZZyq
Mission, Vision and Values
All Iowa City Fire Department employees are guided by our mission, vision and values. The mission is the core purpose for why the Iowa City Fire Department exists. The vision is the description for where the department strives to be in the future. The vision should inspire and motivate. Values are the guiding principles for the organization. These are the essential and enduring principles.
With insight garnered during the process, the internal stakeholders reviewed the mission, vision and value statements for current and future relevance—the mission statement remained the same, while the vision and value statements were revised to provide a more clear picture of the department and what it aims to be.
The mission of the Iowa City Fire Department is to protect our community by providing progressive, high quality emergency and preventive services.
The Iowa City Fire Department will be recognized as a national leader in our profession and as role models in our community. We will be an exemplary, service driven organization in providing emergency and preventive services with exceptional leadership, state of the art resources, and a healthy, highly trained, and motivated workforce. We will stay true to our values and inspire one another in our pursuit of excellence.
As an organization, we uphold the following values:
- Accountability: We are accountable to each other and the community we have sworn to serve.
- Innovation: We encourage the advancement of our services and programs through inquiry, evaluation, problem solving and continual improvement.
- Professional Excellence: We are dedicated to the pursuit of excellence and the demonstration of high professional standards.
- Respect: We believe in the dignity of every individual and value all members of the community and organization.
- Teamwork: We are committed to a teamwork environment where every stakeholder is a valued contributor to our success .
- Trustworthiness: We embolden trustworthiness as it encompasses such qualities as honesty, integrity, loyalty and reliability.