The annual Pride celebration began as a collective protest advocating for the rights of LGBTQ+ individuals and communities, and freedom in expressing gender identity. The national tradition of celebrating Pride in June is a tribute to the Stonewall Riots of June 1969, which are remembered as the launch of the modern LGBTQ+ rights movement. Transgender people of color, including Marsha P. Johnson, Silvia Rivera, and Storme DeLarverie, were primary leaders in the Stonewall expression of just treatment for LGBTQ+ people, who gave their work and lives to the cause. The City of Iowa City recognizes the many LGBTQ+ lives that continue to be lost each year in pursuit of living out their authentic identities, in particular, transgender people of color.
Iowa City Pride festival and parade moved to October
The annual Iowa City Pride celebration and parade, which is not organized or ran by the City, will be held June 18, 2022. For more information on Iowa City Pride, visit iowacitypride.org, or follow them on Facebook.
Free Pride signs
The City’s has free Pride signs available at City Hall, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
List of June Pride events
To help the community celebrate Pride, we've collected information on numerous events and happenings celebrating Pride, both City and non-City affiliated. This page will continue to be updated.
- All month: The Pride flag will be flown at City Hall and City Park Pool.
- June 17: Iowa City Pride Picnic, 5-8 p.m. in Upper City Park.
- June 18: Pride Parade and Festival. The parade starts at noon in Downtown Iowa City, with the festival running in the Pedestrian Mall until 10 p.m.
- June 22: Free LGBTQ+ mental health webinar is hosted at 6:30 p.m. Learn more at our website; Register via Zoom.
Local LGBTQ+ Resources
- https://www.facebook.com/CoralvillePride/ Coralville Pride Festival
- https://www.iowacitypride.org/ Iowa City Pride
- https://lgbtqiowa.org/ LGBTQ Iowa Archives and Library
- https://oneiowa.org/resources/ One Iowa
- https://thequire.org/ The Quire of Eastern Iowa
- https://uihc.org/health-topics/resources-families-and-allies-lgbtq-individuals UIHC Resources for Families and Allies LGBTQ Individuals
- https://TheRealMainStream.com The Real Mainstream
If you have any Pride resources you'd like added to the webpage, email information to HumanRights@iowa-city.org.
*This list is by no means complete.
*Inclusion of a web site on this list does not constitute an endorsement by the City of Iowa City, which has no responsibility for their contents or accuracy.