Nominations for 2017 Human Rights Awards
This year, nominations can be submitted online at www.icgov.org/HumanRightsNominationForm. For a printed nomination form, see the link below (2017 Nomination Form PDF). Forms can also be submitted by fax at 319-887-6213, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, mailed or delivered to: Iowa City Human Rights Commission, Attn: Stefanie Bowers, 410 E. Washington Street, Iowa City, IA 52240. The deadline to submit nominations is Friday, September 29, 2017.
Awards will be presented at the 34th Annual Human Rights Awards Breakfast on Wednesday, Oct. 25, 2017 beginning at 7:15a.m. in the Second Floor Ballroom of the University of Iowa Memorial Union at 125 N. Madison Street in Iowa City. The scheduled keynote speaker is Jean Hall Lloyd-Jones. Tickets for the breakfast can be purchased online at https://34thawardsbreakfast.eventbrite.com.
Each year, the Iowa City Human Rights Commission recognizes the efforts of individuals, businesses or organizations whose ongoing work, service or contributions have positively impacted Human Rights either locally or abroad at the annual Human Rights Awards Breakfast. Nominations are accepted in the following categories:
- Bill Reagan Business/Community Award: for outstanding contributions to human rights by a business or organization
- Heather Shank Lifetime Achievement Award (Only the Human Rights Commission can nominate persons for this Award).
- International Award: for significant contributions to human rights in the global community
- Isabel Turner Award: for working for the rights of individuals to get fair and ethical treatment and/or volunteering time to an organization or business that works for these rights
- Kenneth Cmiel Award: for active contributions to the field of human rights by a college student and/or graduate student
- Linda Severson Award: for outstanding contributions to human rights by an individual in a service organization
- Rick Graf Award: for long-term commitment of an individual, business, or individual with a service organization, to a specific cause or for the benefit of a specific group of persons