Building Inspection Services is a part of the Development Services Division within Neighborhood and Development Services. Building Inspection Services is responsible for enforcement of all codes and ordinances regulating the protection of the public health, safety and general welfare as it relates to the built environment and maintenance of existing structures.
Issuing all permits for new construction, additions, alterations, repairs and signs is one of the key functions of Building Inspection Services.
Building Inspection Services enforces the following construction codes:
- 2018 International Building / Residential Code, as amended
- 2018 International Mechanical Code (State of Iowa Mechanical Code)
- 2018 Uniform Plumbing Code, as amended (State of Iowa Plumbing Code)
- 2018 International Fire Code
- 2017 National Electrical Code, as amended (State of Iowa Electrical Code)
- 2012 International Energy Conservation Code (State of Iowa Energy Code)
City Code: The complete Iowa City Code can be found here.
In addition to the above codes, Building Inspection Services enforces the Zoning, Sign, Nuisance, Weed, Noise, Graffiti, Site Plan Review, Floodplain Management and Construction Site Runoff Ordinances. Enforcement of snow and ice removal from public sidewalks is also a responsibility of Building Inspection Services.
Notice: To request interior inspections of occupied structures, please contact Terry Goerdt at (319) 356-5124 or Tim Hennes at (319) 356-5122. Inspections will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis to determine the best course of action depending on life safety issues. Alternate types of documentation such as photos, videos, or live video sessions may be permissible depending on circumstances.