Ordinance No. 09-4336 provides that a sidewalk retailing permit may be issued to individual retailers allowing placement of merchandise on the sidewalk. This permit will be in effect from March 1 through October 31, Thursdays through Sundays from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Under this provision, a permit may be issued to any individual retailer who completes the application, provides proof of liability insurance naming the City as an additional insured, and abides by the rules for sidewalk retailing established by the City Manager.
Downtown Association (DTA) members who participate are not covered by DTA insurance. All applicants must provide proof of insurance to the City if they elect to participate. Insurance requirements are as follows:
Comprehensive General Liability Insurance with limits no less than $1,000,000 combined
single limit per occurrence for bodily injury, personal injury and property damage. The policy shall name the City of Iowa City as an Additional Insured and require 30 days
written notice of cancelation.
Rules for sidewalk retailing as established by the City Manager
- No food or drink may be sold or provided.
- All signs must conform to the City sign ordinance.
- No tents or umbrellas.
- The merchandise displayed may not cover more than 32 square feet of the right-of-way.
- No table, clothes rack or other object may be closer to the street than four feet.
- The business must allow at least four feet of unobstructed sidewalk.
- No amplified sound is permitted.
- The goods and services sold must be identical to goods and services sold inside a retail establishment (e.g., a shoe store may not sell cellular phone plans).
- All tables, clothes racks, and other objects must be removed by 9 p.m. and may not be placed on the sidewalk before 9 a.m.
- The City has three (3) working days to grant (or deny) the permit.
- This permit is valid from March 1 through October 31 of the current calendar year.
- The business must obtain liability insurance that meets the requirements as set forth by the City.