On this page:
- American Rescue Plan Act Overview
- City of Iowa City Use of Funds
- Public Outreach and Input
- U.S. Treasury Final Rule and Guidance
On March 11, 2021, President Biden signed the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) into law. This legislation established the Coronavirus State and Local Fiscal Recovery Fund (SLFRF), which provides significant resources to state, local, territorial, and Tribal governments to address impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The U.S. Treasury has allocated $18.3 million to the City of Iowa City. The City received approximately half of this amount in May 2021 and anticipates receiving the remaining balance around May 2022. SLFRF dollars are intended to both address emergency stabilization needs and help localities make long-term, transformative investments (especially in underserved populations) through careful planning and extensive public input. All funds must be expended and projects completed by December 31, 2026.
City Council has identified guiding principles to inform the process of prioritizing ideas for use funds.
City Council and staff will work collaboratively with residents, businesses, non-profits, and other community partners and stakeholders to ensure a transparent process that is aligned with community needs. Additionally, the City will seek to coordinate with Johnson County and neighboring cities to maximize the transformative impact of these funds and the many other funding streams and programs included in the American Rescue Plan Act.
- American Rescue Plan Act Overview Presentation (May 18, 2021 Work Session)
- ARPA Initial Spending Recommendations Presentation (Sept. 7, 2021 Work Session)
- ARPA Status Update Memo (January 13, 2021)
Residents may provide ongoing public input by e-mailing comments in their preferred language to firstname.lastname@example.org.
An initial round of public input opportunities was held throughout summer 2021. Responses were compiled for City Council to discuss at their September 7, 2021 work session:
- ARPA Public Input Summary & First Tranche Update Memo (Sept. 2, 2021)
- Summarized List of Public Input Ideas collected through intial public input phase
- Raw SurveyMonkey Results (From Iowa City ARPA Survey open through Aug. 15, 2021)
Previous public outreach efforts:
- Diversity Market (July 10, 2021)
- Farmer's Market (July 24, 2021)
- Listening Session at Mercer Park (August 11, 2021)
- Online survey offered in English, Spanish, Arabic, and French (Survey closed Aug. 30, 2021)
- Informational flyers distributed in English, Spanish, French, and Arabic