This webpage includes information on how to properly dispose of light bulbs, including incandescent, compact fluorescent (CFLs), and LED light bulbs in Johnson County, whether using a recycling facility or by working with a community partner organization.
Light bulb recycling programs provided by the City of Iowa City/Iowa City Landfill and Recycling Center are available to residents and businesses within Johnson County, Kalona, and Riverside. Materials from outside of this service area are not accepted.
- Incandescent Light Bulbs
- Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFLs) and LEDs
- Community Partners
- Contact Us
Incandescent light bulbs can be thrown away in the regular trash.
Residents of Johnson County, Kalona, and Riverside can properly dispose of CFL and LED bulbs and tubes at the Iowa City Landfill and Recycling Center at no charge during regular business hours, 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Saturday. Light fixtures with PBCs will be $3 each to recycle.
Businesses can properly dispose of CFL and LED bulbs for a fee at the Iowa City Landfill.
Commercial Light Bulb Recycling Fees:
- CFL or LED bulbs: 54 cents/bulb
- Tubes 4-foot and under: 54 cents/bulb
- Tubes 4-foot and over: 72 cents/bulb
- Light fixtures with PBCs: $3 each
CFLs contain a small amount of mercury and LEDs contain a small amount of lead. Special handling is required to safely remove the mercury and lead.
Other household hazardous material may be disposed of at the Hazardous Material Collection Facility during facility open hours (Thursday, Friday and Saturday, 7 a.m. to 2 p.m.).
The landfill also works with partners through our Adopt-A-Bin program. Drop off CFL and LED bulbs at the following locations.
All locations accept bulbs for free from service area residents. However, tube recycling may not be available at all locations, or there may be a charge. Call the specific location for more information.
- ReStore, 2401 Scott Blvd. SE, Iowa City
- Ace Hardware, 1558 Mall Dr., Iowa City
- Ace Hardware, 600 N. Dodge St., Iowa City
- Tiffin City Hall, 300 Railroad St.
- Riverside City Hall, 61 Greene St.
- Lone Tree City Hall, 123 Devoe St.
- North Liberty City Hall, 3 Quail Creek Circle
- North Liberty Community Center, 520 W. Cherry St.
Other locations that recycle bulbs:
- Lowe's Home Improvement in Coralville; call 319-545-8300 for more information