Incandescent light bulbs can be thrown away in the regular trash.
Residents of Johnson County, Kalona, and Riverside can properly dispose of CFL and LED bulbs and tubes at the Iowa City Landfill and Recycling Center at no charge during regular business hours, 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Saturday. Light fixtures with PBCs will be $3 each to recycle.
Commercial Light Bulb Recycling Fees:
- CFL or LED bulbs: 54 cents/bulb
- Tubes 4-foot and under: 54 cents/bulb
- Tubes 4-foot and over: 72 cents/bulb
- Light fixtures with PBCs: $3 each
CFLs contain a small amount of mercury and LEDs contain a small amount of lead. Special handling is required to safely remove the mercury and lead.
Other household hazardous material may be disposed of at no charge by appointment. Call 319-356-5185 to make an appointment.
The landfill also works with partners through our Adopt-A-Bin program. Drop off CFL and LED bulbs at the following locations.
All locations accept bulbs for free. However, tube recycling may not be available at all locations, or there may be a charge. Call the specific location for more information.
- ReStore, 2401 Scott Blvd. SE, Iowa City; 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Tues - Sat
- Ace Hardware, 1558 Mall Dr., Iowa City
- Ace Hardware, 600 N. Dodge St., Iowa City
- Tiffin City Hall, 300 Railroad St.
- Riverside City Hall, 61 Greene St.
- Lone Tree City Hall, 123 Devoe St.
- North Liberty City Hall, 3 Quail Creek Circle
- North Liberty Community Center, 520 W. Cherry St.
Other locations that recycle bulbs:
- Lowe's Home Improvement in Coralville; call 319-545-8300 for more information
Questions? Contact Resource Management at 319-356-5151 or the Recycling Coordinator at 319-887-6110 or email@example.com.