This web page is the community's resource on multi-family and apartment recycling, and offers guidance on how to use your recycling program, as well as, a brief history of the program.
If you live an apartment in Iowa City and are unsure how to use your recycling program, follow the steps below.
- Check the label on the recycling container/dumpster or call your landlord to identify which company hauls your apartment’s recycling materials.
- Find the resources and outreach materials below that pertain to the company that hauls your apartment’s recycling materials. These resources should explain what can and cannot be recycled in your recycling container.
- ABC Disposal Systems, Inc.
- Republic Services
- Allied Waste Service (now Republic Services)
- Hawkeye Waste (call 319-351-5932 for more information)
- Johnson County Refuse
- Waste Management
Live in an apartment building with no recycling or need to report an issue?
Report this as "Housing: Recycling Issues" at icgov.org/ICgovXpress, and provide your apartment's address and recycling status.
Live in an apartment building with no recycling or need to report an issue? Report this as "Housing: Recycling Issues" at icgov.org/ICgovXpress.
Apartments and condominiums that do not receive City curbside services can provide recycling services at their facilities through local haulers.
Apartment Recycling Ordinance
In 2016, the Iowa City City Council passed a resolution that requires all multi-family apartments and condominiums to provide recycling for their tenants. The mandate is now in effect, and enforcement is through rental permits.
In order for landlords and property managers of dwellings in excess of four units to renew future rental permits, they must have recycling available to their tenants. Staff is aware that exceptions may be necessary for a small number of properties that cannot comply with the proposed code due to lack of space.
Apartment Recycling Pilot Program
In 2012, the Iowa City Landfill and Recycling Center implemented a pilot recycling program for multi-family apartments and condominiums in Iowa City. A Best Management Practices Manual was developed to offer recommendations for apartment and condo recycling. This effort helped in the development of the Apartment Recycling Ordinance, passed in 2016.