Apartment/Condo Pilot Recycling Program
In 2012, the Iowa City Landfill and Recycling Center implemented a pilot recycling program for multi-family apartments and condominiums in Iowa City. Five apartment complexes and condominium associations were selected to participate through October 2012.
Based on the findings from the pilot, a Best Management Practices Manualhas been created to offer recommendations for apartment and condominium recycling. Private recycling services are readily available and affordable in the Iowa City area and City staff can help representatives from the multi-family and condominium community work through the logistics of implementing a recycling program.
The pilot project and manual were funded in part by participating apartment landlords/managers and condominium associations, Iowa City Landfill and Recycling Center, and the Iowa Department of Natural Resources’ Solid Waste Alternative Program:
This manual was prepared with the support of the Iowa Department of Natural Resources Agreement Number 12-G550-14FL. However, any opinions, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed herein are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the view of IDNR.
A guide for tenants and condominium owners is also available: Iowa City Apartment and Condominium Recycling Guide.
The City can provide assistance in the following ways:
- City staff is available to meet with property owners and managers to assist in starting recycling programs, including
- waste sorts to determine how much of a complex’s trash is recyclable
- gather cost data for individual complexes
- assist in determining best placement for external recycling containers
- The landfill can provide assistance with education/outreach to tenants and condo owners through:
- templates for email, postcards, letters and posters
- printed materials for distribution such as this single stream recycling POSTER
- staff for presentations to tenants and condo owners
- Landfill staff will work with owners and managers to bulk purchase recycling containers for individual tenants
Need assistance or just have questions? Contact the Recycling Coordinator at 319-887-6160 or email@example.com.