History of the Iowa City Airport
The Iowa City Municipal Airport, opened in 1918, is the oldest civil airport west of the Mississippi River still in its original location. Commercial aviation was born right here in Iowa City, as the very first air mail flights flew through Iowa City, and many of the early pioneers of flight landed here, including Wiley Post, Jack Knight, Charles Lindbergh, and Will Rogers.
Today it is the finest general aviation airport in the Midwest, serving business, medical, charter and private pilots year 'round.
This section and those following are reproduced with the permission of their original authors, Jay and Mary Honeck. Thank you both!
- 1921 :: Transcontinental Mail
- Jack Knight and the Iowa City Connection
- 1927 - 1939 :: Boeing Air Transport Comes to Iowa City
- 1939 - 1945 :: The World War II Years
- 1945 - 1959 :: Post-War Aviation Booms
- 1959 - 1972 :: Iowa City Loses Airline Service
- 1960 - 1997 :: The E.K. Jones Years
- 1998 - Present :: Chaos to Resurrection
This section is still in development. Please check back often to see the updates.