Leaf Vacuum Program
Remember: Leaf burning and all open burning is banned by City ordinance.
Thanks to all residents for their cooperation in utilizing this popular City service. Questions: Call 356-5181.
Leaf Program Update 12/15/14
on Monday, December 15, 2014
The Iowa City Streets Division will again be offering leaf vacuum service in your neighborhood. Here are a few tips that should make the process go more smoothly and efficiently for the crews:
- Each leaf vacuum pass-through in your neighborhood is scheduled for two consecutive days. This means crews will reach your property on one of the two days, but not both. Have your leaves raked and to the curb by the first day listed to ensure their pick-up.
- Sometimes if workload is light in their assigned pickup territory, you might see crews passing through your neighborhood looking for leaf piles. These are “extra” trips and do not cancel your regular pickup days. The crews will return to your neighborhood on your assigned pickup days.
- View the 2014 Pickup Schedule
Preparing Your Leaves
- Please rake leaves in a pile on the City right-of-way area in front of your house (between the sidewalk and the street curbing). Be sure your pile of leaves is no further than five feet back from the curb. The vacuum hose cannot reach the leaves if they are too far back.
- Rake only leaves into piles. The vacuum cannot pick up other types of yard waste such as sticks, brush and garden refuse.
- Combine your leaves into sizeable piles. It slows the crews down to have to look for and handle multiple small leaf piles. The minimum size for one pile should be the equivalent of one yard waste bag.
You Can Help Us Out
- Please do not rake leaves into the street! Leaves should never be raked into the street as they can be washed into the storm sewer and cause flooding for your neighborhood.
- Do not pile leaves around mailboxes and signposts. Place the pile in an open area.
- Parked cars hamper leaf pickup. In some areas of the city where on-street parking is heavy, “No Parking” signs will be posted while leaf crews are in the area. Where calendar parking is enforced, leaf pickup will occur on the side of the street without parking.
- In all other parts of town, please be considerate when parking on the street and avoid parking near leaf piles on scheduled pickup days.
Some Final Reminders
- Despite all advanced preparation, adherence to these schedules depends on weather and equipment functioning properly. Equipment breakdowns and heavy rains can slow progress, and snowstorms late in the cycle can curtail the program.
- We advise residents to not delay in leaf raking, as an early winter requires that equipment and crews be redirected to snow removal.
- Yard waste bags can always be used if more rapid pickup is desired.