ICgov.org Home » ICgov Home » Off-Campus Living » Community Information » Vehicle Registration and Licensing

Vehicle Registration and Licensing

Iowa law requires you to register your motor vehicle with the county treasurer's office in Johnson County within 30 days from the date you establish residency. Iowa registration is required even though your license plates may still be valid in another state. Register at the County Treasurer's Office on the first floor of the Johnson County Building, 913 S. Dubuque St.

The following documents are required to be surrendered to the county treasurer's office:

  1. Your current ownership document (certificate of title). Must be the original or official duplicate of the certificate of title. The State of Iowa does not accept copies.
  2. A completed application for an Iowa certificate of title and/or registration. The application must be signed by all owners. If there is a lien against the vehicle, it should be noted on the application. You will want to contact your county treasurer's office for amount of registration fees. In Johnson County, the Treasurer's office phone number is: 356-6091.

If you move from one county to another, you must report your change of address to the county treasurer in your former county of residence within ten days after your move so your motor vehicle registration information can be forwarded to the county where you now live.


The aforementioned information is provided as a general guide and is not intended to provide specific advice. Readers should satisfy themselves that the information is accurate for their purposes and use.

Citizen Service Center | Transit Routes | News | E-Subscriptions | Jobs | Calendar | Store