Hazardous Waste Collection Facility
3900 Hebl Avenue SW ::: Iowa City, Iowa 52246::: ph 319.356.5185
Public Works Director
Call for appointment
7:00 AM - 4:30 PM Monday-Saturday
No appointments needed for Swap Shop visits.
Appointment Times Available for Drop-Off:
7:00 AM - 1:00 PM Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays
The Landfill's Hazardous Waste Collection Facility is located at the Iowa City Landfill, 3900 Hebl Avenue (continue on Melrose Avenue about 2 miles west of Iowa City).
All residents of Iowa City, Johnson County, Riverside and Kalona can use this facility. There is no charge to residential customers but an appointment is required due to staffing limitations. Please see "Using the Facility" below.
Examples of Household Hazardous Waste
Hazardous wastes can be found throughout the home. Look for labels on the items - words such as DANGER, WARNING, and CAUTION are signals for hazardous waste. Look in the kitchen, bathroom, basement and garage for them. Examples include:
- Kitchen: floor care products; furniture and metal polish; oven cleaner; stain remover; drain cleaner.
- Bathroom: toilet bowl cleaner; mildew remover; abrasive cleaner; disinfectant; hair remover.
- Garage: antifreeze; brake and transmission fluid; engine degreaser; battery acid; lighter fluid; kerosene; gasoline; oil; auto batteries.
- Lawn/Garden: weed killer; pesticides; bug spray; fertilizer.
- Workshop: oil-based paint; adhesives; glue; resin; solvents; strippers; varnishes; stains; paint thinner; rechargeable batteries. (20 gallon paint limit, including 1 5-gallon pail, 1 per visit).
- Miscellaneous: photo developers; pool chemicals; shoe polish; art supply chemicals; moth balls; nail polish and remover; syringes; fluorescent light tubes, including compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs).
- Batteries EXCEPT alkaline batteries, including sealed lead, auto, Ni-Cd, lithium, rechargeables, watch batteries, hearing aid batteries and cellular phone batteries. (Alkaline batteries are NOT accepted for recycling--please dispose of these in your regular trash as they do not contain hazardous materials.)
Proper disposal of these and any other hazardous waste is important to the safety of your family and household pets, as well as the quality of our environment. Reduce the risk of poisonings, fires, and toxic fumes by properly disposing of such materials at the Hazardous Waste Collection Facility at the Iowa City Landfill. Never dispose of hazardous chemicals directly into your garbage or into the waterways of your community.
Mobile Neighborhood Collection Events
The Iowa City Landfill and Recycling Center can schedule mobile hazardous waste collection events for neighborhoods in Iowa City or surrounding communities in Johnson County. Please note:
• Latex paint is not accepted at mobile events.
• There is a $250 fee for a three-hour event.
• A six week lead time is needed to schedule a mobile event.
Call the Recycling Coordinator at 319-887-6160 to discuss having an event in your neighborhood or community.
Small Business Hazardous Waste
There are fees charged for business waste. Businesses must meet EPA criteria of a "Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator" (CESQG) and pre-approval is required. Forms, including pricing, are available by here or by calling 319-356-5185.
Items NOT Accepted
There are a few materials not accepted at the facility:
- Ammunition and explosives
- Radioactive materials
- Infectious medical waste
- Propane cylinders
- To recycle propane cylinders, please contact Ferrel Gas (319-354-4220) or A-1 Propane (319-337-2034), both located in Iowa City.
- Fire extinguishers
- To recycle fire extinguishers, please contact Hawkeye Fire & Safety (319-338-3096 or Iowa Fire Equipment Company (319-337-4434), both located in Iowa City.
Call 319-356-5185 for help in finding a proper disposal method for these items.
Using the Facility
It's important that all users follow these instructions for using the facility:
- Take a quick inventory of the items you want to dispose. Make a list of the general types and quantity of waste. You'll be asked about your items when you make your appointment.
- Call the Landfill office at 319-356-5185 during their operating hours (7:00 AM - 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday) to set up an appointment.
- Appointments are available Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays from 7:00 AM - 1 PM
- Keep items in their original containers - never mix materials together.
- There is a limit of 20 gallons of paint (including 1 5-gallon pail) per visit.
- Label unmarked containers.
- Transport materials to the Recycling Center in sturdy, leakproof containers, preferably in your trunk or truck bed. Cushion glass or breakable containers.
- Arrive for your appointment on time!
- When you arrive, pull through Lane #1 and park under the overhang on the building. Landfill staff will be ready to serve you.
- Please fill out a short survey after the collection is complete.
The efficient operation of the facility depends on the cooperation of the citizens in following the above instructions. Staff will be there to assist only at your appointment time and no drop-ins will be accepted. This procedure allows the staff the time to carefully process the specific type of hazardous waste you bring to the site.
While at the Landfill, take a moment and look through the items in the Exchange Room. These are items other customers have brought to the waste collection facility which are free for the taking. Most often these items are paints and automobile fluids.
Please call the Landfill at 319-356-5185 to schedule an appointment to donate items, which are accepted on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. Due to staffing limitations, no items can be accepted without an appointment. (To browse the Swap Shop, no appointment is necessary, just stop by Monday through Saturday, 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)
The Landfill Division is pleased to be able to provide this service to the local residents. If you have any questions about the facility or its procedures, call 319-356-5185.