Meters, Facilities, and Programs
Short-term meters (1-2 hours) are concentrated in the core of the downtown. These meters are intended for shopper's use. Each parking meter dial states the maximum time. Look for arrows on the meters which match the stall to the corresponding meter. Parking beyond the time limit of the meter by continual feeding of the meter is illegal.
Longer term meters become more common as you move away from the core downtown area.
Meters are enforced Monday through Saturday, 8 am - 5 pm except the following holidays:
- January 1
- Memorial Day
- July 4
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- December 25
Chauncey Swan Parking Ramp
Court Street Transportation Center
Use of parking garages in Iowa City is encouraged for both short and longer term uses. Overtime parking tickets are eliminated, and the Park 'N Shop will help pay for your ramp fees with qualifying purchases from local merchants.
- Dubuque Street Garage (220 S. Dubuque Street) One block south of the Public Library. $.75 per hour, 625 parking spaces.
- Capitol Street Garage (Burlington & Capitol Street) Adjoins Old Capitol Town Center. $.75 per hour, 875 parking spaces.
- Tower Place & Parking (Iowa Avenue & Gilbert Street) mixed-use commercial/parking facility. $.75 per hour, 510 parking spaces.
- Chauncey Swan Garage (Washington Street across from City Hall) $.60 per hour, 475 parking spaces.
Note: lower level is accessed only from Washington Street. Upper levels are accessed from the College Street bridge.
- Court Street Transportation Center (Dubuque and Court Street) mixed-use commercial/parking facility. $.60 per hour, 600 parking spaces.
These are unattended, automated pay ramps. Immediately after parking, observe space number painted on stall. Proceed to pay station (located in stairwells) and pay in advance. just like you would a parking meter. Do not walk out of the garage without pre-paying.
- Schumann Lot (near Market & Dubuque)
- Market Street Lot (near Gilpin's Paint)
- Recreation Center Lot (access from Burlington Street behind Recreation Center, or through lower level of Chauncey Swan Garage on Washington Street).
- Burlington Street Lot (near Mill Restaurant)
- Maiden Lane Parking Lot (west of Gilbert Street)
A parking permit program is in place for the downtown parking garages. A waiting list now exists for issuance of these permits. If you wish to get on the waiting list, please call 319-356-5096.
Park 'N Shop Program
While shopping in Iowa City, watch for signs in store windows announcing participation in the Park 'N Shop program. With qualifying purchases, the store will stamp your parking ramp ticket for free or reduced parking fees.