Meters, Facilities, and Programs
Short-term meters (1-2 hours) are concentrated in the core of the downtown. These meters are intended for the use of shoppers and to encourage turnover. Each parking meter states the maximum time. Look for arrows on the meters which match the stall to the corresponding meter. Parking beyond the time limit of the meter by continual feeding of the meter is illegal.
Longer term meters become more common as you move away from the core downtown area.
Meters are enforced Monday through Saturday, 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. except the following holidays:
- January 1
- Memorial Day
- July 4
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- December 25
Use of parking garages in Iowa City is encouraged for both short and longer term uses. Overtime parking tickets are avoided and the first hour of parking is free in the Dubuque Street, Capitol Street and Tower Place parking garages, and the Court Street Transportation Center.
- Dubuque Street Garage (220 S. Dubuque Street) One block south of the Public Library. First hour free, $1 per hour for each additional hour. 625 parking spaces.
- Capitol Street Garage (220 S. Capitol Street) Adjoins Old Capitol Town Center. First hour free, $1 per hour for each additional hour. 875 parking spaces.
- Tower Place & Parking (335 Iowa Avenue) mixed-use commercial/parking facility. First hour free, $1 per hour for each additional hour. 510 parking spaces.
- Chauncey Swan Garage (415 E. Washington Street) $0.75 per hour, 475 parking spaces.
Note: lower level is accessed only from Washington Street. Upper levels are accessed from the College Street bridge. This is an unattended, automated pay ramp. Immediately after parking, observe space number painted on stall. Proceed to pay station (located in stairwells) and pay in advance, just like you would a parking meter. Do not walk out of the garage without pre-paying.
- Court Street Transportation Center (150 E. Court Street) mixed-use commercial/parking facility. $0.60 per hour. Beginning mid-July, first hour free, $1 per hour for each additional hour. 600 parking spaces.
Metered Parking Lots
- Schumann Lot (north side of Market Street between Clinton and Dubuque Streets)
- Market Street Lot (north side of Market Street between Gilbert and Linn Streets)
- Recreation Center Lot (access from Burlington Street behind Recreation Center, or through lower level of Chauncey Swan Garage on Washington Street).
- Burlington Street Lot (north side of Burlington Street between Starbucks and Mill Restaurant)
- Maiden Lane Parking Lot (one block west of Gilbert Street of Court or Prentiss Streets)
A parking permit program is in place for the downtown parking garages and designated lots. Call the Parking Division at 319-356-5151 for availability or to be put on a waitlist.